Sunday, July 31, 2011

Birth Story of Judah Lee Hawkinson

A lot of peole have heard it-Judah's crazy birth story already but I decided I should write it down, so here we go.
Thursday night I sent Joe to run a few errands, one of which was castor oil and " something yummy to put it in." My mom was planning on coming to stay with me for a week starting on Friday. I had 2 reasons for wanting this boy to be born before she came besides the fact that I was 40 weeks.
; #1. I wanted just a little time with him as a family and #2. My pubic bone separated in labor with Gideon and I could not walk, roll over in bed or put clothes on without assistance so I wanted to utilize the time my mom had in case I was immobilized again after this delivery.
Joe came home with a Jamocha shake and we doctored it up and I had finished it and was in by around 9:30 p.m. I woke up around 11 to use the bathroom :) and walk from the kitchen to the front door timing contractions. They went away at midnight so I laid down and slept until 1:40 a.m. Then I got back up and used the bathroom a few times and went back to walking and timing contractions. They were harder and closer together but not hard enough to stop me in my tracks, I kept walking through them.
Finally around 2:15 a.m. I had 3 three hard contractions that I had to stop moving and breath through. My contractions were 1 minute apart and not sure how long they were. I decided to go wake Joe up after I used the bathroom once more. But after a hard contraction in the bathroom I waited for the next one and it didn't come, so I waited 5 min with no contraction and decided to lay down and see if I could sleep some more ( I thought maybe they were slowing down or stopping).
I laid down and and had a very hard contraction and woke Joe up in the middle of it at 2:50 a.m. He immediately got up and dressed & called the Birth Center. I told him my contractions were a minute apart to which he answered " What?! Why didn't you wake me up?" I got up and went back to walking from the kitchen to the front door while Joe was on hold with the call center for 5 min and trying to get all the bags. Joe talked to the midwife and said we were coming then went upstairs to tell out friend Loyal Olsen we were going and he could take the boys to his sister's house in the morning and get the car seat. While he was upstairs I knew I was going to have another hard contraction so I was on my hands and knees with my arms on the ottoman and had a Very hard contraction so hard, I could have pushed. So I started crawling toward the bathroom to get off the carpet because in the back of my mind I thought "maybe this is transition." I had another contraction on my hands and knees and DID push this time. Joe met me at the bottom of the steps and I told him I had just pushed, and Joe said, "No, no no no no, we have to go to the Birth Center." Then he said," babe your shorts are wet, we have to go." I asked " Are they even there?" because we live blocks away from the Birth Center and I knew we would beat the midwife there and have a baby in the parking lot or the car.
So I stood up and we walked 3 steps and I had another contraction and I told Joe "I'm pushing!" then Judah's head and shoulders were out, and almost immediately I had another one and he was all the way out. Joe was able to catch Judah in my shorts :) and I sat right down, and Joe took my shorts off Judah and handed him to me :) he was crying and breathing perfectly at 3:07 a.m.
After I was holding Judah Joe yelled "LOYAL! Get down here!" And Loyal came down and Joe asked him to go get towels (and Joe covered me right up) and help move some furniture so I could lean against something- I was sitting on the living room floor between the loveseat and side table. Joe went and got the nasal syringe and sucked Judah out and turned on the heater. Then he called the midwife and told them he was here. Joe tied off the cord with a twistie tie and the midwives arrived 20 minutes later and delivered the placenta and moved me onto the couch to do all the necessary checks & stitches.
So Judah Lee Hawkinson was born July 15, 2011 at 3:07 a.m. in our living room, delivered by his parents :) weighing 9 lbs 3 oz and 22 1/4 inches long.
We are all doing great, Judah is a great eater and is such a sweet baby-all his big brothers love him lots and lots.
And just a fyi: the midwife said the carpet Could be cleaned but Joe decided he didn't Want it cleaned so, the carpet was thrown away and I have been promised a new one :)


Winter said...

I LOVE this story!!! You are woman, hear you roar!!! ;) Congratulations again! You are so blessed!

Anonymous said...

Wow...what a great story...I've never had a baby...but boy am I proud of you two!...Congratulations!!
karen carder

Charity said...

You are amazing!! I had heard that Judah was delivered at home but am glad to hear all the details. Thanks for posting. Praise the Lord for a healthy beautiful baby boy :)

HopiQ said...

I've heard this story from you, Joe, and Loyal, but I'm still crying and laughing as I read it! Praising the Lord with everyone else for a beautiful, precious, healthy baby boy! I love your birth story!

Braimee said...

You are awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you posted your story! I'd just heard a very concise version of Joe's story, so it's fun to read more about it (and from your perspective). So thankful for Judah's healthy arrival!

betty schrag said...

I was wonderin' when i saw your announcement, and it said, Mama & baby are at home sleeping. (something like that) and i just thought, man they came home fast, but you never left home!

Lynn said...

Wow, Jessie! What a crazy night that was =0] He looks SO much like a little Hawkinson boy - how sweet!

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

Wow. That is SOME story. Way to go, Mama!